Sabirama Cooking Tour is a Hoi An cooking class that packs a lot into a half day : a visit to the market, a 45-minute river cruise, a paddle in a traditional basket boat, a water buffalo cart ride, a foot massage, the preparation of four traditional Vietnamese food dishes (including decorative touches) and, last but not least, consuming the scrumptious food with relish. Phew!
- a visit to a local produce market
- a boat trip along the beautiful Thu Bon River
- Basket Boat ride through the Water Palm Village
- ride in a water buffalo cart
- a foot, head and shoulder massage
- cooking class including 4 local Vietnamese dishes
The Journey to Sabirama Cooking Class
This exceptional cooking tour is most certainly unlike any other cooking class you may have been on, or heard of. The journey will take you through the beautiful and scenic countryside of Hoi An to Cam Thanh village (around 4kms away from the town center). This adventure will include: a visit to a local produce market; a boat trip along the beautiful Thu Bon River, with sights that include the island of Cam Nam and Duy Hai fishing village, as you pass under the majestic Cua Dai Bridge. This will then lead you onto a fun-filled Basket Boat ride through the Water Palm Village, followed by a ride in a water buffalo cart that will take you to the Sabirama Cooking School and restaurant. Upon arrival, you can then unwind by soaking up the joys of a foot, head and shoulder massage.
Sabirama Cooking Class
You make your own sauces and seasonings and even steam your own rice paper for the fresh spring rolls. The stove-top cooking is all yours too and plenty of time is also spent learning decorative touches with tomatoes and cucumbers fashioning rose and butterfly garnishes.
Scenic Cam Thanh Island’s Nipa Palm forests, not far from the Cua Dai Bridge, provide a superb backdrop to the cooking and eating. By the end of the tour you will be able to whisk up a green mango salad and fresh spring rolls. Similarly, banh xeo (savory pancake) and chicken with chili and lemongrass will be as easy as cheese on toast.
Special tips, like the nifty balance of ingredients for the sweet and sour fish sauce are worth the trip alone. Likewise a water reduction method for cooking the seafood is sure to get perfect results over a high flame for you for evermore.
- Green mango salad with shrimp & pork
- Fresh spring roll
- Beef noodle soup – Pho Bo
- Vietnamese chicken curry – served with steamed rice
- Dessert: sticky rice cake
Sabirama Cooking Class is tremendous value for money at just 45 USD (1 million VND) a person and highly recommended for its diverse showcase of Vietnamese life from market to river to kitchen. And, as you get to do most of the work in the kitchen, whether it be frying squid and prawns, julienning green mango, blending sweet and sour fish sauce or making your own rice paper from the get go, you have all the fun and really learn first-hand the rudiments of Vietnamese cuisine.
- Pick up by car at your hotel and English speaking Tour Guide
- Local produce market tour
- Welcome drink upon your arrival
- Free 1 cold water
- Boat trip on the Thu Bon river
- Basket boat ride
- Buffalo cart transfer
- Foot massage
- Return car trip to your hotel following the half day tour.
Vegetarian Menu Option
A vegan menu can be arranged
- 40 USD / 925,000 VND (adult and youth)
- 30 USD / 695,000 VND – 5 to 10 years
- Free for children under 5